How can we sound more natural when we speak? That's the million-dollar question, but let's see some expressions which can help us improve our speaking.
Something we sometimes do is gossip and talk about other people's lives. Listen to this lesson from the BBC to learn some useful expressions and do some exercises.
If you listen to this, you can also practise how to show interest. Here you have some more ways of showing interest and surprise. Here go some expressions we use in informal English:
How to express shock:
- I was shocked to hear the news.
- I was stunned / taken aback by the news
- The news came as a complete shock.
- We're all in complete shock.
How to express disbelief:
- I just can't believe he won the race.
- It's unbelievable that they got married
- I just can't imagine they were able to get along with each other.
Last but not least, this page will offer you lots of expressions for almost any situation you can think of.